Article Text
---
In the ever-growing community of young musicians posting their tracks online, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to stand out - yet some still manage. Tom Bridge is one of them. With his fanbase rapidly expanding, we decided to interview him to get an insight on his life and his music.
In the ever-growing community of young musicians posting their tracks online, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to stand out - yet some still manage. Tom Bridge is one of them. With his fanbase rapidly expanding, we decided to interview him to get an insight on his life and his music.
Playlist: So let’s start with a little bit about yourself
for any readers that might not know you already. How would you define your
music?
Tom: Right okay, so my music is quite hard to define; I
suppose it’s quite retro-sounding - I saw a comment a while back where someone
said I’m like a mixture of The Beatles and Pulp, with a slight hint of Oasis
mixed in there too, so maybe more 90s Britpop than “retro”, I guess!
Playlist: Have you always been musical? What led to you
persuing music as a career?
Tom: A lot of people are surprised whenever I say this, but
until about three or four years ago, I couldn’t play any instruments had no
interest in learning. I was always more of a listener than a player, but I got
bored of listening to other people’s music, so I made my own. Simple. I started
uploading my creations to YouTube and before I knew it, I had built up quite a
following. It was only then that I saw this as a viable option for a career and
decided to drop my plans of being an engineer and pursue music.
Playlist: What is your overall process for creating your
music? How long does it take?
Tom: It really depends on the song. Sometimes, if I have
something on my mind, I’ll just grab my guitar and have a play around until I
like what I hear, and then I’ll post it online. For my more polished album
tracks, I spent a good year or so trying to nail the sound. When people are
paying to listen, there’s a lot more pressure to impress them, so it takes
longer.
Playlist: Apart from creating music, what are your other
interests? Are there any cross-overs with music?
Tom: I’d definitely consider myself to be a bit of a film
buff. When I’m not writing or playing, I’m usually watching some sort of indie
film, either at home or in the cinema. There was actually a cross-over between
films and my music on my most recent album - the final song on the album is
loosely based on Forrest Gump.
Playlist: You just released your first studio album - what’s
next for you?
Tom: Currently I’m on a UK tour with a few other musicians
and then I’m taking some time off to do a bit of travelling. Once I’m back,
I’ll be starting work on a huge project that I can’t talk about quite yet! It’s
something new for me and I’m very excited!
Continued on Page 12
---
Continued on Page 12
---
No comments:
Post a Comment