Monday, 7 November 2016
Pre-production - Magazine Content
Explanation
I referred back to my magazine analysis, audience research, and some of my own knowledge of magazine conventions to decide what articles should be featured in my magazine, and how many pages they should take up. My audience research showed a large interest in interviews with upcoming artists, so I decided to include eleven double-page spreads (in total) dedicated to this topic, plus a further three dedicated to existing well-known artists. Lists are also a key feature that my audience are interested in seeing in my magazine, so I have included several articles relating to this theme, including an eight-page (4 DPS) feature called "10 Playlists to Star 2017", and another eight-page (4 DPS) article called "5 Genres You've Never Listened To". In the "regulars" section, I included several smaller articles relating to this topic, such as a monthly playlist, and a "reader recommendations" section, encouraging reader interaction with the magazine.
My research also showed an interest in the idea of having a small section dedicated to upcoming film and TV releases, so I have included two double-page spreads, one for film and one for television. I decided that including more pages on this topic would not be suitable for my magazine as music is my main focus point.
I dedicated 15 pages to paid advertorial space, allowing the magazine to have further income to keep the magazine running. My research online showed that full-page advertisements in popular magazines can cost around £17,000 in publications such as GQ magazine (source), however GQ is an established magazine, whereas Playlist is not, so charges would have to be considerably lower in order to attract the attention of companies.
My magazine will cost £3.50 for a print issue and £2.99 for a digital issue (available through services such as Google Play). From looking at similar existing products, I found that these prices are fairly common; a print copy of Q Magazine retails for £3.50, and my research on Google Play's Newsstand showed me that £2.99 is the average price for monthly magazines, with some being sold for more/less. For a 105-page magazine featuring a large number of articles and recommendations, £3.50 and £2.99 are prices that offer value for money, and my audience research shows that a wide majority of my audience have enough disposable income to buy my product.
Labels:
Planning
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment